Saturday, July 12, 2008

I think I've found my calling!

This is a really old post that I found today (September 5, 2009) that I had never fully completed or published. I did go to conestoga college last year, although I do not have a job in human resources management, and I still want to be a doula. So, just over a year after I started this post, I've decided that I am going to do it, and I've begun working on Certification with DONA International! This post ends abrubtly, but I wrote it a year ago, so I won't edit it any. I will blog separately about my journey as a doula... you can find the link if you click on my profile. Or you can find it here.

Although, the sad part is that I don't think that I can answer my calling without a full-time job secured, which requires that I still finish one more year of school, doing my Human Resources degree at Conestoga College... although that is still up in the air right now... I'm considering dropping the program... because I really really want to be a doula! Ever since I've been doing research on childbirth, and what options exist for women, I've learned that becoming a doula is something that I can do, rather than become a midwife.

I've been doing research, but I'm not sure where is the best place to become a certified doula. There is DONA the international, which is the obvious choice, however, their training program is mostly done through correspondence, and as such, there is no help in really setting up your network, and gathering a client base.

Another option is this training that actually happens in Kitchener, which seems like it might be a nice idea! This woman is a certified doula trainer, trained through the Ontario Perinatal School and she offers a range of programs: birth doula training, childbirth educator, and postpartum doula. Eventually, if I got into this industry, I would like to obtain all three of these certifications and then begin my own private doula practice! I would love to have the letters CD after my name!

Well, I've really been thinking about it, and I am so much into this, that I really don't want to even go to Conestoga anymore! I really, really, really want to start taking this doula course! I think that it will be so much more fulfilling than human resourses... although it seems as though being doula, especially starting out, is something that I would do "on the side" rather than as my primary source of income. (which saddens me, because I would do it!)

No comments: