Saturday, April 26, 2008

Considerations for the Future?

Today while I was sitting at work, I happened to find a copy of yesterday's National Post on the desk, with a cover article discussing the soaring prices of food and oil predicted over the next four years. (2012)

This article was very disheartening and horrifying to read:

- The price of rice jumped by 5% in Thailand ($1000/tonne)
- Walmart is beginning to ration rice as consumers begin to hoard in a panic about soaring grocery prices
- Wholesalers are being forced to raise their prices 15%
- there are riots because people do not have enough food

- BY 2012 the cost of oil is expected to soar to roughly $225 a barrel

The articles discussed these crises and the economical impact we can expect them to have:
- Car companies are going to see their profits dip dramatically as more people opt not to purchase cars, move closer to work, and ultimately aim only to purchase fuel efficient cars in order to deflect this inflation. So many people are now buying cars that there is not enough oil to go around.

It is truly a scary thought that we are coming to such a point in our consumption that there are riots happening because people don't have enough food/rice, and that gas will eventually soar to $2.25/litre.

This is actually horrifying.

I was really thinking that I may have to purchase a car, however, with these types of predictions, I will definitely be waiting until later for this; I hope to be able to purchase an electric car as my first car, and will probably be in my 30s before I actually am able to afford the costs associated with a traditionally powered car.

Eating habits are also going to have to change world-wide in order to avoid high costs for food: particularly, I will be buying The 100-Mile Diet and beginning my committment to local eating.

This was an endeavour I intended to follow through with this summer either way, however, it was propelled mostly by environmental concern. Now, it will be a combination of environmental responsibility as well as an attempt to save money.

I've also seen stories on the news about this food crisis, and restaurant prices will be soaring as well within due time. So, I will also have to more consciously begin to order food from restaurants which order locally.

I guess there is also no time like the present to commit to my decision to eat Vegetarian as well...

This truly is a horrifying situation that we find ourselves in, with a food crisis and the prospect of gas running $2.25/litre.

Hopefully consumers will take heed to this crisis and drive less, buy fuel efficient cars and be more conscientous in their food purchases in order to make this crisis become managable... and hopefully car companies are hasty with the introduction of electric cars on the market....

Update: More to come on this topic. After reading this newspaper article I picked up the 100-mile diet, In Defense of Food, and The Sexual Politics of Meat... I'd like to provide a "plan for action" at least for myself, that I can share as well

No comments: